If you have had a deeply distressing or disturbing experience you could be facing the aftermath of a trauma. Bad things can happen to any of us and it can feel like a negative downward cycle. Your resilience may be depleted and you may start to feel overwhelmed. It is normal to need someone to come along side of you to support you through these difficult times.
Common signs include:
- Unwanted or distressing thoughts
- Avoiding places or events
- Being easily startled
- Feeling out of control
- Feeling detached
- Difficulty sleeping
- Changes in your appetite
- Problems with concentration
- Decreased energy levels
- Loss of interest in things you use to enjoy
- Irritable behaviour or angry outbursts
- Behavioural changes that are unhelpful or self-destructive
The first step is recognising that something is not quite right. It’s like an iceberg, most of the feelings are under the surface and come up at unexpected times. This is your body telling you it is time to do something about it.
We can help you to
- Understand more about what is going on in your body
- Manage your thoughts
- Develop some relaxation strategies
- Learn to accept uncomfortable feelings as they pass
- Reengage or start to enjoy life again
If you would like to discuss making an appointment to see one of our psychologists, call our receptionist today on 8295 4150.